"'For the bread
of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.' They
said to him, 'Sir, give us this bread always.' Jesus said to them, 'I am the
bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes
in me will never be thirsty.'" John 6: 33-35
*****
All that we are yearns for you.
The needs you planted in us--food, clothing, shelter--
mere literary devices.
Metaphors we simple-mindedly
live into truths.
You made our bodies hungry so
we fatten them up or just get them by with a cup of meal,
having no idea that you made us need food
for dramatic effect--
to drive home the point that you are
the Bread of Life.
You made our bodies naked, and
whether haute couture or rags,
we slip them on
unwittingly playing out your point
that all our efforts won't match
God's clothing for the lilies or the grass in the field.
You made our bodies vulnerable so, cape cod or shanty,
We huddle together inside, not knowing that they are
constructions of yours, not ours,
movie sets in which we dwell
acting out our parts while waiting for our dwelling places
in your Father's house.
Not that I'm complaining, but sometimes I feel
a little silly,
playing at the game of being human,
and wondering
what metaphor I'm playing out when I reach for the next
thing I think
I need.
No comments:
Post a Comment